A Personally Tailored Clinical Exercise/Pilates based programme for you
Individual Clinical Exercise programs and group or class sessions are developed by our Physiotherapists to achieve your goals using floor work, a Reformer (spring- loaded machine), fit-ball, weights and exercise bands.
Our Physiotherapists will teach you how to improve your dynamic spinal muscle function or stability, especially in rehabilitation after injury. This is often referred to as “core” stability.
Your Clinical Exercise may include exercise in “functional patterns” using major muscle groups of the whole body, focusing on muscle control and endurance rather than pure strength of spine, pelvis, arms and legs. Some of your exercises may include Pilates-based exercise (see explanation below). Additionally, some specifically targeted strengthening, stretching, co- ordination and balance practise may be needed.
Exercise can help to:
- Reduce your back pain, sciatica, neck pain and headache.
- Improve your trunk muscles strength and dynamic spinal stabilisation. This is also commonly called “core stability”.
- Improve your posture and flexibility.
- Improve your co-ordination and performance during sport, work and daily living tasks.
- Enhance rehabilitation after injury and fracture, especially spinal disorders. Good spinal control is also essential for recovery from arm and leg problems or sports injuries.
- Prevent re-injury especially of your spine and mean you recover more quickly from recurrences.
- Reduce Shoulder and arm pain.
- Improve function in Osteoarthritis.
- Recover from Work and accident related injuries.
- Strengthen bones if you have Osteoporosis.
What is Pilates?
Pilates is based on both Joseph Pilates’ original work in the 1920s and recent research by physiotherapists on the importance of core stability in rehabilitation after injury. Pilates-informed exercise is now used in sports medicine and rehabilitation hospitals throughout Australia for arm, leg and spinal conditions.
A physiotherapist will assess you and devise a Clinical Exercise programme which is safe and optimal for you, taking into consideration your current/ past physical or medical problems and your goal.
You will start with at least 1-2 individual sessions to learn your fundamental exercises.
If you wish to join a group or class some practise of the most regularly used exercises in the group or class will be practised individually with you prior to joining the group or class.
A review appointment is needed to individually check on your progress at a time decided by your physiotherapist and you; usually every 3-6 months.
- Individual sessions These are all led by a Physiotherapist and are rebateable under most Private Health Insurance Extra’s Cover. Sessions can be booked at any time during normal clinic opening hours.
- 2021-2022 On Line Tele Exercise and Pilates classes remain available online as a package of 12 taped classes. These classes have been loaded up onto google drive for you to access 24/7 for 12 weeks for $120 commencing 8/11/21 – 31/1/22. Email the clinic for more information.
- 2022 Term 1 On Line Tele Exercise and Pilates classes will be available online as a package of 10 taped classes, cost $100, loaded onto google drive commencing 31/1/22. Email the clinic for more information.
- 2022 Face to face Clinical Exercise classes of 10 people (3 groups running) Class of 10 (max) Floor Class – 50 minute class- lead by a Physiotherapist, are rebateable under most Private Health Insurance Extra’s Cover. Resume Monday 31/1/22 for Term 1. Location: St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church Hall, 237 North Rd, South Caulfield. All clients attending must have had their 2nd COVID inoculation.
- Monday 6:00pm (intermediate- advanced) 10 classes $290 led by Winston Lim
- Tuesday 6.00p.m. (intermediate- advanced) 10 classes $290 led by Bronwyn McIlveen
- Wednesday 6:00pm (beginner -intermediate) 10 classes $290 led by Winston Lim
- Thursday 1p.m. (beginner-intermediate) 10 classes $290 led by Bronwyn McIlveen
- Casual classes $35
- Face to Face Class of 3 people Saturday morning resume 15/1/22. All clients attending must have had their 2nd COVID inoculation. Saturday morning group of 3 people x 45 minutes led by Winston Lim $37.50
Private Health Insurance Reforms 1/4/19.
As of 1/4/19 The Department of Health will remove Private Health Insurance rebates for all Pilates and Clinical Pilates, other than Pilates-informed exercise prescribed by a Physiotherapist.
However, the scheduled Physiotherapy Exercise session cannot be advertised or promoted as Pilates.
All exercise must reflect Physiotherapy treatment and be individualised and goal oriented. Initial assessments and regular reviews must be individual and well documented to comply with Department of Health rules.
This is the way Physiotherapists have always worked so there is no change to our practise, only a name change.